Grief pervaded Ogunseye and Dipo Olubi streets, Aguda, Surulere, Lagos, on Thursday following the tragic death of a family of five in an overnight fire.
The family who reside in a makeshift shop which was also used for laundry service and selling confectionery were identified only as Hope (wife) and Hygnius and their three children, Ada, 9, Nonso, 7, and six-year-old Ugochukwu.
While the woman and the children died on the spot, Hygnius, who sustained first degree burns, died at the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital.
It was learnt that the fire started around 2 a.m, although the immediate cause of the inferno could not be ascertained, it was also learnt that the sound of explosion was heard from the family’s shop shortly after electricity was restored in the area.
Residents confirmed that Fire-fighters responded about 20 minutes after the fire started.