The Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has embarked on an indefinite strike which started 14th of August 2017. The national president of the union, Biodun Ogunyemi said the union embarked on the current strike because the Federal Government has refused to implement 7 out of the nine issues agreed on in 2009.
Below are 7 outstanding issues ASUU has with the government; the reasons for the strike.
- Funding for Revitalization of the Nigerian Universities – Implementation of needs assessment report.
- Poor funding of State Universities
- Non-release of operational license of NUPEMCO – Nigerian University Pension Management Committee.
- Payment of fractions and non payment of salaries
- Non-Payment of Earned Allowances
- Amendment of the Pension/Retirement Age of Academics on the Professorial cadre from 65 to 70 years
- Reinstatement of prematurely dissolved Governing Councils
- Removal of University staff schools from funding by the government
- Non-implementation of the 2014 Pension Reform Act with respect to retired professors and their salaries.