It was gathered that among the dignitaries that were observing Friday prayers at the mosque were Deputy Governor Zannah Mustaphar and the Shehu of Borno, Abubakar Kyari. Both men were evacuated alive after the attack. It is not yet clear if any was injured.
Several other people were injured in the attack, and have been taken to nearby hospitals.
Witnesses said a boy of about the age of 15 was noticed walking towards the two dignitaries as they exited the mosque after the prayers.
Security aides were said to be suspicious of the manner in which the boy approached the two men, and tried to apprehend him, while shielding the VIPs.
At that moment, the bomb was detonated. Security officials said five people have been confirmed dead so far in the blast, with two soldiers among the critically wounded.
“Five people have been killed and six others injured in the Maiduguri Central Mosque suicide bomb attack,” said Sagir Musa, spokesperson for the Joint Task Force in the state.