Police in Ondo State yesterday said about 54 prison inmates set free by gunmen who invaded the Olokuta Medium Prison in Akure, the state capital, had been rearrested.
The state Police Public Relations Officer, PPRO, Wole Ogodo, disclosed this yesterday while speaking with journalists on efforts of the command in arresting inmates set free by the gunmen in the early hours of Sunday.
Ogodo said the police were working in conjunction with other security agents in the state to make sure that all the prisoners who escaped were brought back to the prison. The PPRO, however, denied reports that 10 travellers were killed during the attack.
He said: “The publication is complete misrepresentation of facts of the incident as no such was recorded during the jailbreak or the attack on the prisons. But it was mainly aimed at liberating some members of their gang who were in prison custody.
“No death was recorded whether on the side of the security agents, inmates or any travellers. Members of the press are hereby advised to crosscheck their information before publication.”
Gunmen numbering about 30 had on Sunday invaded the Olokuta Medium Security Prison in Akure and set about 175 inmates free. The attackers arrived at the prison about 12:05am and started shooting sporadically into the air to scare away some of the prison officials on duty.
The gunmen gained entrance into the prison by breaking the key leading to the prison and attempted to blow off the main entrance which was unsuccessful before they blew off the wall leading into the cells and shot an officer of the prison who was on duty.
The police, however, said the incident had nothing to do with terrorism and called on the people to continue with their normal duties