Two Month Old Baby, Parents Die In Midnight Fire



A two-month old baby and her parents lost their lives in a midnight inferno that razed their residence in Kajola community, Osun State, in the early hours of Wednesday.

A resident, who pleaded anonymity, said the couple and their baby were consumed by the fire without anyone noticing in the neighbourhood.

It could not be ascertained whether the tragedy occurred before a light rain on Wednesday or after.

Our correspondent, however, noted that the incident had thrown the community into grief.

One of the children of the deceased, who went for a vigil, wept uncontrollably when she returned home in the morning to meet the charred bodies of her parents and sibling.

All the household gadgets of the family were burnt in the inferno suspected to be caused by a power surge.

The state Deputy Governor, Mrs Titi Laoye-Tomori, who visited the scene, expressed shock.

Laoye-Tomori, who gave an undisclosed amount of money to the family, said, “The government will henceforth be responsible for the upkeep of the surviving children.”

Officials of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps took the corpses of the victims to the mortuary.

The Public Relations Officer, Ife-Ile PHCN Business District, Mr Akin Otaraki, said the fire outbreak could not have been cause by a power surge because the area had been disconnected from power supply by Power Holding Company of Nigeria.

“The community and some others had been in darkness since Saturday, July 20, 2013 due to a yet-to-be identified fault. The fact on the ground is that the inferno could not have been caused by a power surge because there has not been power supply to the affected communities, including Kajola,” Otaraki said.


Lagos Dumps 70 Beggars, Others In Onitsha
Pastor Killed During Argument With Neighbour

What Do You Think?

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.