Two Brothers Arrested For Beating Tailor To Death



The Zone 2 Police Command, Onikan, Lagos State, has apprehended two brothers, Wasiu Bada and Nurudeen Bada, for the alleged murder of a 32-year-old tailor.

According to the police, the suspects and others at large were seen beating the deceased, Quadri Busari, with iron rods and clubs.

PUNCH Metro learnt that the fight broke out after Busari had a disagreement with the culprits over the location of a grave on Ogun River Road, Isheri Oke, Church area of the state.

A lawyer, Mr. Lekan Odunsi, who spoke on behalf of the Busari family, said the fight was also related to a scuffle between Olofin and Oshorun families over the right to the monarchy in the area.

Odunsi said, “Two families are involved in a scuffle over the kingship title in the area. The Olofin of Isheri ruled from 1901 to 1923 and he was buried next to Busari’s house. Busari happens to be a descendant of the late king.

“On August 3, 2013, around 6pm, some hoodlums, believed to be loyalists of Chief Lawal Oshorun, came around the grave and attempted to erect a kiosk beside it. The grave of the late king was the vestige of evidence that Olofin family was entitled to the throne. Busari, who sighted the hoodlums, went to challenge them.

“The thugs used iron rods, clubs and other items to beat Busari to death. Some of those that were seen beating the deceased are, Wasiu Bada, Nurudeen Bada and one man identified as Burger.”

Odunsi told PUNCH Metro that the deceased was not seen after the beating and when it was nightfall, his relatives became worried.

He said the matter was reported at the Isheri Police Division but the police did not arrest the suspects since there was no corpse to establish the case.

It was however learnt that two days later, the tailor’s corpse was seen floating in the Ogun River.

Odunsi however said the family was disappointed with the manner the police at Isheri handled the matter.

He said, “The police arrested the culprits but later granted them bail, saying there was information that Busari jumped into the water. We refused to accept this because his corpse showed evidence of beating. There were injuries all over the body.

“The police told us to settle the matter out of court but we were not satisfied so we demanded that the matter be transferred to Zone 2 Command.”

The Police Public Relations Officer, Zone 2, Mr. Lewi Suleiman, confirmed the arrests to our correspondent, adding that efforts were on to arrest more suspects.

Suleiman said investigations were ongoing and only an autopsy would determine the actual cause of death.

He said, “Some people wanted to erect a kiosk at the grave on the said day and there was a fight between them and the deceased. His corpse was seen about three days later floating in the river. We have recovered the corpse and taken it to a mortuary for autopsy.

“Two brothers have been arrested and we have charged them to court. Oshorun was also arrested but was later released because no one saw him at the crime scene but investigations are on to determine his level of involvement.

“Oshorun’s house was also vandalised by some infuriated youths following Busari’s death but that is under investigation at the State Criminal Investigation Department, Yaba.”

When contacted on the telephone, Oshorun referred our correspondent to his lawyer, Mr. Kola Idowu. Idowu, when contacted, said he would call back.


Lagos Shuts Buildings For Discharging Waste Into Canals
Police Arrest Five Afghans For Loitering


What Do You Think?

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.