Tragedy struck in Cross River State as five persons were confirmed dead on Friday, August 29 in the village of Uchenyim, Wanikade, North Ukelle of the state after eating the meat of a dog.
The deceased were a man, his two children and two others.
According to a villager, Ugbem Onawo who narrated to Vanguard said the dog was fond of eating the eggs laid by native chicken in the Odareko-Uchenyim village.
One of the villagers decided to get rid of the dog by poisoning it. The individual was said to have laced the eggs laid by the chicken with Gamalin 20 insecticide. When the dog ate the eggs, it fell ill, and when it was almost dead, its owner killed and cooked it as a delicacy.
Unknown to the man, he was said to have consumed the intestines of the dog which was already poisoned from gamalin 20 with his two children and the other two who were his neighbours while also eating frrom it which led to their death.
A source said: “After the man shared the intestines among his children and the two neighbours and they ate death came calling and they all died though at different times”.
The villager, Onawo said they were rushed to the local health centre for medical attention but were confirmed dead on arrival at the health centre.
He said: “A feeling of grieve has descended on the entire village and people are deeply saddened by what took place as such a tragedy has not befallen them before”.
Meanwhile, the councilor representing Wanikade Ward at the Yala Local Government Area legislature, Hon Frank Ugbem, who confirmed the incident said the tragedy is painful and that he has sent a delegation to console the bereaved families.
He said all the dead have been buried in accordance within the tradition of the Ukelle people.