The Nigeria Professional Football League clash between Remo Stars and Ifeanyi Ubah had to be called off after the hosts was hit by health issues before Sunday’s encounter.
Players of the Sky Blue Stars were struck by food poisoning prior to the top-flight match against the Anambra Warriors with 13 players hospitalised. According to reports, on July 8th, the football stars consumed plates of Egusi soup and Semovita and suffered food poisoning afterwards.
Confirming the incident, team’s secretary, Michael Onikute said the affected players, as well as club officials, are already receiving medical attention.
“It’s such a disastrous incident we have prepared well for the game against Ifeanyi Ubah,” Onikute said in a statement.
The players were resting after their dinner which was a meal of semovita and egusi – only to start complaining that they were in pains and they had to be rushed to the Ikenne Health Centre.