Kaduna State government has stated that sacked teachers can reapply for jobs in the ongoing recruitment of 25,000 new qualified teachers for public primary schools in the state.
Commissioner of Education in the state, Mr Jafaru Sani, announced this on Sunday during a press conference at his office in Kaduna.
This followed the sacking of more than 21,000 unqualified teachers by the state government after they failed a controversial competency test conducted by the government in June 2017.
Mr Sani said government has received at least 43,000 applications from prospective teachers in public schools in the state to fill up 25,000 vacancies.
He also asked any of the sacked teachers that feels qualified and interested in the teaching profession to reapply for a job in the ongoing recruitment of 25,000 new qualified teachers for public primary schools in the state.
The commissioner, who said about 12,000 of the sacked teachers had already reapplied, explained that the State Universal Basic Education Board (SUBEB) has introduced a continuous recruitment programme which gives a window of opportunity for every willing teacher to apply and be considered for the job.
On the suspension of the 10-day indefinite strike by the state chapter of the Nigerian Union of Teachers (NUT), he said the union did so on their own volition having seen the need to help save future generations from servitude by ensuring that quality public education is offered in the state.
The state government maintained that the issue of sanitising public schools in the state was very crucial and required courage, honesty and sincerity.