President Donald Trump has threatened to cut financial aid to Honduras over a large group of migrants heading towards the US border.
In a Tweet posted on Tuesday, Mr Trump said the country’s president was told funds would be cut “immediately” if the group was not stopped and returned.
Honduras has a long history of poverty and corruption. It also has one of the highest murder rates in the world.
The group of at least 1,500 migrants grew rapidly in size over the weekend.
About 160 people originally set off on Friday from San Pedro Sula, a notorious Honduran crime hotspot.
They pushed across the border into Guatemala on Monday, despite a heavy police presence and government order attempting to block their route.
This is the second time Mr Trump has threatened Honduras’s aid over migrants, in April saying it was “in play” over another group.
The US sent more than $175m (£130m) to the country in 2016 and 2017, according to the US Agency for International Development.
Officials in Mexico and the US have been monitoring the migrants, who have formed what is known as “a caravan”, over the past few days, issuing threats about their rights to enter the country.
Last week, Vice President Mike Pence urged Central American countries to do more to prevent mass migration.
“Tell your people: don’t put your families at risk by taking the dangerous journey north to attempt to enter the United States illegally,” Mr Pence said.
Honduras, which has a population of about nine million, has endemic problems with gang violence, drug wars and corruption.
According to the World Bank, more than 60% of the population lives in poverty, with one in five people living in extreme poverty.
The country is led by President Juan Orlando Hernandez – who was re-elected in November 2017 in a contested vote which led to election violence and protests.
Jari Dixon, a Honduran politician, Tweeted on Monday (in Spanish) that the caravan was not “seeking the American dream” but “fleeing the Honduras nightmare”.
Honduras country profile
Honduras migrants lose US protected status
Keilin Umana, a pregnant 21-year-old in the caravan, told the Associated Press that she left Honduras because she and her unborn child had been threatened with death at home.
Another woman, 24-year-old Andrea Fernandez, who is travelling with three children under seven, told Reuters she could not find work and feared for her family’s safety.
“We’re going to drop in on Donald Trump. He has to take us in,” she told the news agency.
Earlier this year it was announced that thousands of migrants from Honduras are to lose their temporary protected status within the US by 2020.