Prince Philip has narrowly avoided injury after the car he was driving overturned in a traffic accident near the royal family’s Sandringham Estate.
A first responder at the scene said the Duke of Edinburgh cried out “my legs” as he was pulled from the wreckage.
Philip, 97, was trapped inside his overturned Land Rover after it collided with a Kia carrying two women and a baby.
Buckingham Palace confirmed the 97-year-old was not injured in the collision at 3.30pm on the A149, near West Newton in Norfolk, Metro UK reports.
The Duke of Edinburgh was pulling out from a driveway in his Range Rover when the accident happened.
Norfolk Police said officers were called to the Sandringham Estate shortly before 3pm ‘following reports of a collision involving two cars’.
A spokesman added that police and ambulance crews attended and two people in one of the vehicles suffered minor injuries.
A palace spokeswoman confirmed the duke was driving when the accident happened. She added: ‘He saw a doctor as a precaution and the doctor confirmed he was not injured.’
The spokeswoman would not comment on who Philip’s passenger was but it’s likely the duke was travelling with his close protection officer.
A witness said they saw the duke being helped from the car in ‘shock’.
He was ‘conscious’ but appeared to be visibly ‘shaken’, they told the BBC. Philip and the Queen have been staying at their Norfolk estate since Christmas.
The duke did not attend the Royal Family’s Christmas Day service last month. He is no stranger to the driving seat and was seen with very famous passengers in a Range Rover in 2016.
Prince Philip unhurt after car crash
— BBC News (UK) (@BBCNews) January 17, 2019